11.11.2010

Stop talking about it

In hopes of giving myself a goal of writing at least one post every day and revamping my blog; I will start writing consistently--which is really what I am suppose to be doing. It is what has been ingrained in me for so long and spoken over me: Write Melissa! Write!

I actually am not really quite sure why I am suppose to be writing and why it is so important, yet God keeps telling me to share. I really do have so much to share, but I just don't know where to begin. I just started this book that I got at a book store at Bethel Church while visiting Redding, CA. It was quite an expansive book, and Justin put all his other books back that he wanted in order for me to get this pricey book. Which I thought was very kind and thoughtful of him. He is always so encouraging of my writing, even though he doesn't exactly know the extent of it or how it's all really going to turn out, yet he still cheers me on. Anyway, this book that I got should be a good start to what I actually want to accomplish: WRITING A BOOK. But not only writing a book but publishing a book...eventually. This book has the seemingly uncommon title of: "How to Write and Publish Your Book." By Aaron McMahon. What drew me to this book was not just the boring title, but the fact that that boring title, was on my mind...How do I actually write and publish my own book? I mean how do I get this thing started??? I really had no idea, I just knew it was on my heart and mind and that it was my next goal that I was attempting to achieve.

What REALLY drew me in to actually opening the book and considering it was that the subtext after the title read: "An impartation of practical keys to unlocking your divine book-writing destiny." After reading that I was almost convinced.

This book probably would have looked so fancy or had been so intriguing if it wasn't for the fact that I had just had a conversation with Justin over delicious coffee about wanting to pursue and challenge myself more creatively, and I knew that meant I needed to start writing. But not just talking about it anymore, because ask my friends and family--I have been talking about it for years. My New Years resolution for 4 years in a row was to write and book and finish it.

I knew as the words were coming out of mouth and as I was expressing myself about what I should be doing--that God would give me the tools to do it. It is so pressing upon my heart that I just need to get started! If though I'm not quite sure what that means yet.

So let me tell you about this super cool book. It helps to break down my ideas into little boxes and sort out my thoughts strategically so I can work on putting it all into an outline. It's a 'write in' book so I get to not only read about it but start writing stuff down right away! This is my first day. I am excited to start it. I feel like God gave it to me and He was just like, "Melissa, here you go...now start writing!"

As of right now my writing will be purposeful if it's meant to be, but if not, it's not. I am no longer going to put pressure on myself to just write amazing life changing things--because God tells me every day that I already have what it takes and that I just need to step out and trust him. I'm excited about my new challenge for myself.

Justin, (my husband) and Lauren, (my best friend who lives in Cali) are my accountability people to keep me on it. Justin likes to be my little editor and he's good at it so I suck it up and let him edit my stuff, even though I don't love it. He doesn't change what I write though, he just give's me lectures about you're and your and their and there's and how these words sound the same but are used differently. I love my husband, but he is a mr. smarty pants. I have learned so much from him though and he inspires me. I know it's just because he wants me to be the best writer that I can be, and I love him for that! I should be happy he's willing to help me and be involved! God placed him in my life to be my help mate right? Sometimes I am just stubborn and I think he's just trying to correct me and tell me what to do. But sometimes we need more correction in our lives so we can be better, you know?

An inspiration for my writing this week (which I am going to try to list every week): Justin and I have been reading a book called, "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years" by Donald Miller. He is such a real and down to earth writer. His writing is amusing at times and easy to read, yet there is a lot of substance to it. I thought while Justin was reading aloud to me, I am really enjoying this guys writing and he is just talking about his day. But he wasn't just talking about his day, he was talking about what he got out of the day, what impacted him, what struck him funny, what hurt him, and what he felt like God was showing him. Then I thought, I can write like that. I do write like that! I just need to do it.



Side note:I am listening to Tenth Avenue North and Starfield and I'm finding it very inspiring. If you, (the reader) need to do any creative work, I highly recommend it. Also, Brooke Fraser's new album, "Flags" is amazing!

1 comment:

Jason and Cierra said...

Melissa! This is beautiful because it's your beautiful heart! I love it. I am really excited for you as you embark on this journey of creativity. You have inspired me. It's funny, God has been talking to me as well about creativity and stepping out. I'm excited to see what happens!

love you lil' Mels :)

♥ Cierra