11.13.2010

Three Little Words

"I love you teacher." Robbie said looking up at me with his blue eyes as we were finishing up snack. Such big words for such a little guy. This four year old doesn't have any idea how much more hope he gave me that school day when he said those words to me. Some days are better than others in the life of a preschool teacher. I love to teach and see the kids learning and enjoying themselves; Yet, the kids aren't always listening or paying attention. I try not to let this discourage me, they are just little, they don't know! It's funny how whenever I tell people I am a preschool teacher I almost get the same response: "Aw! How cute! It must be so fun working with the little ones, you never have to grow up! You must be SO patient."

I find this funny because I used to think I was a patient person and that it was one of my strong points, until two things happened in my life: I became a preschool teacher and I got married. Sometimes I think if I hear "Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!" One more time, I think I am going to go crazy. I can imagine how Mom's must feel when they hear, "Mom! Mommy! Mama!" Over and over again and all day long. It's hard to keep my sanity when a handful of little ones want my attention all at one time. Other days, I try to look on the bright side of things and think how awesome it is that I am put in such a position that the kids look up to me, want to interact with me, and act as if I am the best thing 'since sliced bread'. (that saying is thanks to my grandma, the first time I heard it I thought SHE was the funniest thing since sliced bread).
Its great actually, the little ones laugh at everything I say, sing all the songs I sing, and want to ask me all kinds of questions. They act as though I am, for two and half hours and three days a week, the most interesting person they have ever encountered. Who wouldn't want that?

The kind of problems one shall encounter when in the profession of being a preschool teacher is that you must know the words to the songs you are singing so that that they in turn, shall know them as well. For example: With Christmas coming up, it is my job to teach my kids in my class all the songs they will be singing for the Christmas program. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it being my first year of teaching, I need to know the songs, so I can teach it to them. The problem is, I am learning as I go as well. I am doing my best. I have been listening to the Christmas program cd in my car. Yes, I am singing Christmas songs in November before Thanksgiving, but I don't really have much of a choice.

Another problem with learning as you go is making sure I am always prepared for class, even though I am an assistant for another class in the afternoon and have to be ready for that class. I'm attempting to find the balance so I don't continue to forget the kids birthdays and not have any thing written in my teacher planner for my "circle times". Usually I wing it, but I don't just want to get through my circle times with my kids, I want to have fun with the stories, make them smile, and be creative with the time I do have with them; so that they are learning and experiencing Jesus' love through me with the time that we have together.

Being patient and being married is a whole other story! My husband is the most patient person I know--so much in fact that he puts me thinking I am patient, to shame. I say this in the most light hearted way because it is actually funny how laid back and go with the flow my husband is. Being with him has made me notice things about myself that I never noticed about myself before. A few of those things being: I worry way more than I should, I am not as easy going as I thought, and I am quite the planner. There is something satisfying about writing things down in my planner. I am not one of those who have an i phone just yet, so I am not sure how satisfying of an experience it will be to use a touch screen instead of a pen. We'll see. But I must say, that because of Justin, I am not much of a worrier (I don't like the term "worry wort"), than I used to be. And for that, I am extremely thankful.

My inspiration, I must say, goes to little Robbie-- Who really has no idea how much that meant to me when he said three little words. It's all about perspective, and it shifted when he spoke those heart changing words to me because I realized, I am here for the kids, not for me or for the projects, or even for the Christmas songs! I am here for them, and in turn for Jesus in me, who will reach their little hearts :)

1 comment:

Jodi Steele said...

I love reading what you're thinking and learning. And, I LOVE imagining you singing in your car with the Christmas CD (and rewinding to get the words right)! :o)

I agree with you on and understand SO many things in this post!